“All families deserve access to good health, quality education, and financial stability.”
Frederick is a wonderful place. It is full of hard working, kind, and committed neighbors. But even in our wonderful city, workers, students, and families get left behind. This campaign is about bringing community and civic leaders, philanthropists, nonprofit leaders, business leaders and community champions together to create systemic social change. It is about ensuring every Marylander has the tools to be an active, engaged, and thriving member of our community. Because, we all benefit when a child succeeds in school, when someone finds a job that will help them provide for their family, or when more people are able to access quality, affordable healthcare.
As your delegate, Ryan will support policies that:
- Ensure all children have access to consistent, high quality, and affordable early learning.
- Promote research-based parent and community engagement programs to reduce non-academic barriers to learning throughout the school years.
- Ensure all families have access to high-quality and affordable childcare options that aid in early learning development.
- Employ targeted interventions and early warning indicators in order to identify truant students and students at risk of dropping out and provide those students with tailored school, family, and community support to complete high school.
- Increase opportunities for education re-entry for disconnected youth who have discontinued their education, including support for interagency dropout recovery systems.
- Encourage public-private partnerships to support education, including Education Income Tax Credits, the arts, and science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) programs.
- Track education efforts with economic development initiatives to prepare the next generation for the jobs of the future.
- Incentivize the recruitment and retention of high quality educational and pupil support personnel, particularly in schools with the greatest need.
- Expand the community school model to merge educational and social needs in a safe environment.
- Enhance out-of-school time programs that improve academic, social and workforce development skills in all off-school time hours, including nights, weekends and summers.
- Credential, train, and compensate programs for early childhood educators which are aligned with standards and benchmarks to ensure all children have access to high quality early learning opportunities.
- Invest in Maryland’s community college system and ensuring a high-quality education that is easily transferable to in-state universities.
- Pursue college affordability by capping graduate repayments at 10% of the graduate’s disposable income, allowing students to remove the debt burden of college.
As your delegate Ryan will support policies that:
- Seek a long-term universal healthcare system in the state which provides improved health outcomes to all Marylanders and covers health, dental, eye, and behavioral needs.
- Expand access to vital health care programs including Medicare, Medicaid and CHIP which provide all essential health benefits including behavioral health services.
- Assure that payment policies and quality measures support the development of a viable provider network to meet the demands of increased access.
- Promote community-based models to combat the opioid crisis plaguing our community.
- Stand up against prescription drug increases to ensure seniors and families have access to the life-saving drugs they need.
- Lower infant mortality rates by improving healthcare access and quality for high-risk pregnant women, mothers and newborns in at-risk communities, including racially, ethnically and linguistically diverse communities.
- Combat preventable chronic diseases through the promotion of strategies that support wellness and healthy lifestyles.
- Improve access to affordable healthy food and beverages and creating opportunities for physical activity programs in schools and neighborhoods to reduce childhood obesity.
- Ensure older adults have access to home and community-based supports in order to maximize their choice to age in place.
As your delegate Ryan will:
- Encourage policies and investments that support sector-based workforce partnerships that identify promising growth sectors in Frederick, and across Maryland, as well as aligning education, training, and workforce development programs to support these sectors.
- That support inclusive employment policies, laws, and regulations which prevent discrimination in the workplace.
- Protect income support policies which supplement lower-wage earners’ income while removing barriers that diminish families’ progress toward financial stability. Such as:
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Promote a careful phasing out of benefits as incomes rise to allow families to build long-term financial stability.
- Champion policies and initiatives that aim to improve Maryland’s affordable housing options in rural and urban areas for median and low-income individuals and families, along with veterans, seniors and the disabled.
- Expand availability of financial literacy programs to help create long-term family financial sustainability, especially for those receiving public benefits.
- Fight for fair tax policies which increase financial stability for low to moderate-income families.
- Seek the establishment of a family-sustaining wage that reflects the unique geographic and economic considerations across Maryland.
- Advance predictable scheduling legislation that protects hotel, service, and food industry workers from erratic schedules and lost compensation.
- Provide legislative support for the expansion of both public and private unions to hold powerful interests in check and protect Maryland workers.